Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG
We remember in the early part of this century when Mercedes-Benz unleashed the E55 AMG upon the world, a supercharged V8 monster with 350kW/700Nm, which today is still a big number. The vehicle is also very luxurious and brilliant to drive and can be had for a steal. But like any older performance car there are problems that need to be checked out.
What to watch out for:
- Listen for a chirping noise when accelerating as this could be a problem with the supercharged pulley and an expensive fix.
- Have an expert check that the intercooler pump is functioning properly as these are known to fail. Install an upgraded part if this should occur.
- When the car is too hot it tends to shut down the supercharger and allows it to function again when it has cooled down. An aftermarket heat exchanger should fix the problem.
- Check for oil leaks as these cars are known to leak oil from the oil level sensor.
- Check the coil pack and sparkplugs as these are known to cause misfires in these cars.
- If the car battles to start, runs rough or doesn’t start, many have found that it is due to the failure of the crankshaft position sensor.
- The differential is known to leak so check for this problem as resealing this could work our costly.
- If the ESP/BAS light is illuminated on the dashboard it could point to a failed brake switch sensor.
Example found on Autodealer.co.za
Find example online here