Organised by supercar aficionados Ross Crichton and Paul Kennard, joint-owners of Super Car Lifestyle, the event drew close to 50 entries, compiling an amazing array of diversity and high quality amongst cars entered in six different categories.
The overall winner was a De Tomaso Pantera GT5, hailing from Botswana and owned by Fatima de Abreu, and lovingly restored by her husband Carlos.
The De Abreus had a red-letter weekend at Sun City, as their bright-red 1990 Ferrari Testarossa claimed second place overall, followed by the remarkably understated, mint-original Pontiac GTO owned by Basil Papagorgio.
The Show and Shine category, with a far less-stringent judging process, was won hands-down by Manana Nhlanhla with her immaculate Mercedes-Benz 190 SL. Manana and her husband Albert had trailered the classic “baby” Mercedes sports car all the way up from Botha’s Hill, KwaZulu-Natal, for the event.
“Concours South Africa exceeded all my expectations,” said organiser Ross Crichton. “I was overwhelmed by the response of both entrants and the public. Of course, this is something Paul Kennard and I have lived with for a long time. The idea for the event has been with us for the past five years.”
Crichton also paid tribute to Nedbank Private Wealth, which partnered Super Car Lifestyle in making this first Concours South Africa a reality, and to BKD Auditors, who audited the results for the event.
Here's the full results sheet from Concours South Africa, held at Sun City over this past weekend.
1. De Tomaso Pantera, Fatima de Abreu, 245,67 points
2. Ferrari Testarossa. Carlos de Abreu, 245,00 points
3. Pontiac GTO, Basil Papagorgio 242,67 points
Show and Shine
1. Mercedes-Benz 190 SL , Manana Nhlanhla 105,50 points
2. VW Beetle, Steve Koterba, 95,00 points
3. VW Karmann Ghia Marius Malherbe 93,50 points
1. Ferrari Daytona, Nigel Townsend 293,33 points
2. Jaguar E-Type, Roger Martin 231,00 points
3. Jaguar E-Type,Tom Pietrzak 220,67 points
1. De Tomaso Pantera Fatima de Abreu 245,67 points
2. Ferrari Testarossa, Carlos de Abreu 245,00 points
3.Lamborghini Diablo, Nigel Townsend 232,00 points
Sports Cars pre-1980
1. Pontiac GTO Basil Papagorgio 242,67 points
2.Chevrolet Corvette C1 Basil Papagorgio 238,00 points
3. Aston Martin DB6 Vic Campher 232,33 points
Sports Cars post-1980
1. BMW M5, Guy Patron 229,00 points
2. Porsche 924 Turbo 216,33 points
Leisure and Utility
1. Mercedes-Benz 300B, Dries de Jager 241,67 points
2. Lancia Integrale Evo 2, Nesh Turanjanim 235,33 points
3. Toyota FJ40 L/C, Leon Taljaard 231,67 points
IMAGE from Pure Photographic Studio, Durban