The plan to decrease traffic in Sandton and promote the use of public transportation and cycling was implemented at 6am on Saturday. It is best that you memorize the following information for the coming weeks:
- Alice Lane is closed at the intersection with West Street. A roundabout enables drivers to turn at the temporary closure point;
- Maude Street is temporarily closed at the intersection with West Street;
- Gwen Lane at Maude Street will be restricted to local access;
- West Street at Fredman Drive on the southern carriageway of West Street will be closed between Fredman Drive to a point just south of Maude Street;
- The one-way on Maude Street will be closed at Rivonia Road and Maude Street to prevent entry from Rivonia Road. Eastbound movement will continue. There will be a cycle lane on the southern edge of Maude Street between Rivonia Road and West Street;
- A barricade north of Citibank will be erected to protect the EcoMobility street closure on West Street;
- Hoarding on West Street will separate the car-free zone from the active traffic lanes on West Street.
Below is an interactive map of Sandton streets, with colours and a key chart showing the various means of transport that can be used on each road. Click on the coloured balloons on the map for further information about access to each road.
Map courtesty of Sandton Chronicle
How do you feel about this initiative? Do you think it will help improve the traffic situation and will you start utilizing public transport? How about cycling? Will you go to work on your bicycle? Let us know what you think about this and do you think that other cities should start implementing this idea?
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for motoring news.
Check Nam Auto Cars to find a car in Namibia