You are here:

The lowdown on the border-crossing regulations


IN CASE you haven’t heard about the new regulations being implemented by the South African Police Service (Saps) we’ll fill you in.

It is now a requirement that all drivers of South African registered vehicles crossing the border must carry certified documents proving ownership. All South Africans at our border posts have been given the instruction.

For those who own their vehicle outright, a certified copy of vehicle registration/vehicle licence papers are required. However, if the vehicle is still owned by the bank the driver must present a certified letter from the bank giving authorisation to take the vehicle across the border and must indicate dates of travel. Both the bank letter and licence papers should be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths.

If the driver of the vehicle is not the owner of the vehicle, an Affidavit from the police giving authorisation from the owner to take the vehicle abroad is required. If the car is rented, the driver must have a letter from the rental company giving permission to take the vehicle out of the country. 

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for motoring news.

Article written by
You have an opportunity to be the first by writing a comment about this article. Ask a question or share your opinion!
Notify me via email when someone comments or replies
- Enter security code