The strike that was meant to start in the motor manufacturing industry on Monday has been avoided after a tentative deal was struck between Numsa and the Automobile Manufacturers Employers' Organisation.

The strike that was meant to start in the motor manufacturing industry on Monday has been avoided after a tentative deal was struck between Numsa and the Automobile Manufacturers Employers' Organisation (Ameo).

Weekend talks between the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) and Ameo remained deadlocked though both parties indicated that progress had been made on a long-term agreement in a review committee meeting on Friday.

Numsa spokesman Dumisa Ntuli said the union had not given Ameo a two-day notice of strike action and would be consulting with its members early in the week about the agreement.

The union said it would announce on Thursday whether it was going to accept the new wage proposal from the employers or strike. The latest formal demand had been a nine per cent wage increase across-the-board while Ameo had only offered a 6,5 per cent increase.

Ameo spokesman Dave Kirby said there had been an improvement in Ameo's proposal, though both parties were unwilling to divulge details of the new wage offer.

"What exists in the package - we believe - is sufficient for an agreement. If that is the case, the union (Numsa) will sign after the next feedback meeting," Kirby said.

Original article from Car