The monthly Naamsa stats generally make for rather interesting reading. But, naturally, we tend to focus on the best-performing vehicles in terms of sales. Indeed, we’ve already reported the 10 best-selling passenger cars of November 2018, as well as listed the 10 best-selling bakkies in our market for the same period. But now we’ve decided to take a look at the worst-selling passenger car models on our shores.
Thankfully, Hyundai and Kia these days report their individual model sales figures, which certainly helps to paint a more accurate monthly picture. But, of course, some other automakers (such as Mercedes-Benz and latterly BMW) still disclose only aggregate sales statistics.
Also, take note that – in order to make this list more relevant – we’ve excluded vehicle ranges that start at more than R500 000. Otherwise, this table would be dominated by luxury manufacturers such as Bentley, Ferrari and Maserati, whose high-priced vehicles traditionally sell in tiny numbers.
In addition, we don’t count sales from run-out stock of vehicles that have been officially discontinued locally. And we’ve also heeded the call to include model ranges that failed to sell a single unit.
So, what happened in the eleventh month of 2018? Well, the Kia Cerato and Toyota Prius each failed to sell a single unit in November, while the Abarth 595, Fiat 500X and Suzuki Grand Vitara could muster just two apiece.
The Alfa Romeo Giulietta managed three units, while the Fiat Panda finished on four. The Jeep Renegade, Peugeot 308, Volkswagen Passat and Volvo V40 Cross Country, meanwhile, each ended up with five registrations for the month.
Models that struggled in October but managed to avoid placing on November’s list included the Subaru Impreza (8), Nissan NV200 (10) and Mahindra Thar (12).
For reference, see October’s list here.
SA’s 11 worst-selling passenger cars (under R500k) of November 2018
Kia Cerato – 0
Toyota Prius – 0
Abarth 595 – 2
Fiat 500X – 2
Suzuki Grand Vitara – 2
Alfa Romeo Giulietta – 3
Fiat Panda – 4
Jeep Renegade – 5
Peugeot 308 – 5
Volkswagen Passat – 5
Volvo V40 Cross Country – 5
- SA’s 10 best-selling passenger cars of November 2018
- South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of November 2018
- New-look Toyota Hilux Dakar launches in South Africa!
- Shelby to offer (right-hand-drive) Ford F-150 bakkies in SA
- Ford SA confirms new engine, more kit for updated Ranger
- New Isuzu KB X-Rider Black launched in South Africa!
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…
Original article from Car