The monthly Naamsa stats generally make for rather interesting reading. But, naturally, we tend to focus on the best-performing vehicles in terms of sales. Indeed, we’ve already reported the 10 best-selling passenger cars of August 2018, as well as listed the 10 best-selling bakkies in our market for the same period. But now we’ve decided to take a look at the worst-selling passenger car models on our shores.
Thankfully, Hyundai and Kia now report their individual model sales figures again, which certainly helps to paint a more accurate monthly picture. But, of course, some other automakers (such as Mercedes-Benz and latterly BMW) still disclose only aggregate sales statistics.
Also, take note that – in order to make this list more relevant – we’ve excluded vehicle ranges that start at more than R500 000. Otherwise, this table would be dominated by luxury manufacturers such as Bentley, Ferrari and Maserati, whose high-priced vehicles traditionally sell in tiny numbers.
In addition, we don’t count sales from run-out stock of vehicles that have been officially discontinued locally. And we’ve also heeded the call to include model ranges that failed to sell a single unit.
So, what happened during the month of August? Well, Renault again failed to sell a single example of its Kadjar, seemingly still struggling with stock problems. Toyota likewise didn’t register a single Prius.
Tata managed to sell only one Bolt, while just two examples of each of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta and Subaru Impreza were registered in the month. The Abarth 595 range and the Suzuki Grand Vitara managed three apiece, while the Kia Cerato and Kia Soul ended up on four units each.
The Kia Sorento (which is due a facelift shortly) could muster just five units, while the back-in-SA Peugeot 308 closed out the list with seven sales. Models that struggled in July but managed to avoid placing on August’s list included the Renault Mégane (40), Subaru Forester (26) and Fiat 500X (10).
For reference, see July’s list here.
SA’s 11 worst-selling passenger cars (under R500k) of August 2018
Renault Kadjar – 0
Toyota Prius – 0
Tata Bolt – 1
Alfa Romeo Giulietta – 2
Subaru Impreza – 2
Abarth 595 – 3
Suzuki Grand Vitara – 3
Kia Cerato – 4
Kia Soul – 4
Kia Sorento – 5
Peugeot 308 – 7
- SA’s 10 best-selling passenger cars of August 2018
- South Africa’s 10 best-selling bakkies of August 2018
- New-look Toyota Hilux Dakar launches in South Africa!
- Shelby to offer (right-hand-drive) Ford F-150 bakkies in SA
- Ford SA confirms new engine, more kit for updated Ranger
- New Isuzu KB X-Rider Black launched in South Africa!
- Mercedes-Benz X-Class: V6’s 0-100 km/h time revealed
- VW SA to offer manual Amarok V6 (with low-range)!
- Drag race! Volkswagen Amarok V6 vs. VW Golf GTD…
- 5 half-tonne bakkies axed in SA over the past decade
- Volkswagen unveils sportily styled Saveiro Pepper…
Original article from Car